Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Feminine Mystique


It seems that a growing number of women are entering into bolder and bawdier territory these days. At first I thought it was just me being a bit picky about proper behavior, but a remarkable number of friends – most of them male, have noticed it as well.

Now, please don’t get me wrong; I strongly believe that women must assert themselves. There is a difference, however, in asserting oneself and in coming on too strongly. Perhaps there’s some sort of misguided movement out there, leading women to think that the louder and raunchier they are, the better. It’s an attempt at getting attention, but what these women don’t realize is that they’re attracting negative attention. I’m no expert, really, but I’m told repeatedly by men of all ages that what they really want is a lady – someone who possesses that certain something known as feminine mystique.

In a world growing more outlandish all the time, to stand calmly apart from the din and clatter is quite appealing. Feminine mystique takes practice; learning a quiet confidence will certainly take a girl much farther in life than revealing outfits and obnoxious dialogue will. It requires, too, study and observation of those who have mastered that graceful position. Feminine mystique is possible, but it takes work.

It behooves a woman to dress and groom herself tastefully. It’s vital that she speak politely, without brass. Consistency is key, too – many women seem to fall more quickly into bad behavior whilst traveling in packs. We must always remain cognizant of who we are and what message we want to convey to the world.

I don’t mean to come down too harshly on my sisters. I’m merely trying to take what I’ve observed and what I’ve been told and to help empower women. We can be fabulous without being flashy. We can be strong without being salty. We can attract all good things through grace.

Designer Diane Von Furstenberg says, “I didn’t know what I wanted to be, but I knew the sort of woman I wanted to become.” It’s that sort of thinking that will lead a woman to ultimate success in all areas of life. We must know ourselves, and make sure that we’re representing ourselves as the women we want, and deserve, to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment