Friday, June 19, 2009

Wives and Lovers

Hey! Little Girl
Comb your hair, fix your makeup
Soon he will open the door
Don't think because there's a ring on your finger
You needn't try anymore

I remember years ago a new wife telling me, “Why bother? I’m married now.” I was a kid then, but I recall thinking, “Wow, that’s kind of messed up.” Anyway, it stuck with me, and as I and many of my friends grew up and became wives, I really noticed the trend: once the ring is upon the finger, many women (and men – I’ll get to you fellas in a moment) don’t find it necessary to spiff themselves up any longer.

And this, in my humble opinion, is a true disservice to your significant other and to yourself.

Don’t get me wrong. I certainly don’t wear my little black dress to vacuum floors and scour the tub. In the general day-to-day, though, it’s important, I feel, to make that bit of effort while at home. A nice pair of jeans and a fitted t-shirt are far more visually pleasing than a ratty pair of sweats and an oversized shirt.

Day after day
There are girls at the office
And men will always be men
Don't send him off with your hair still in curlers
You may not see him again

Let’s face it: men are visual creatures. They like to look. Why not give them something nice to look at when they get home?

For wives should always be lovers too
Run to his arms the moment he comes home to you
He's almost here...

Now, some of you gentlemen may be feeling a bit smug at this point. Get that grin off your faces and heed this carefully: you, in turn, owe your lady the same. She most likely works outside of the home, too, and busts her little behind to keep the house in order – it’s not easy. She is definitely worth the effort. My much-better half is casual by nature (heck, he makes his living playing rock and roll), but he is the epitome of what I like to all “casually cool” Even when we’re just hanging around our home, he looks fantastic, and that’s just one of the countless things I appreciate about him.

Hey! Little girl
Better wear something pretty
Something you'd wear to go to the city and
Dim all the lights, pour the wine, start the music
Time to get ready for love

The feeling we get when we look our best (both in and out of our homes) carries over into other avenues of life. We might find we’d prefer to use the good napkins rather than paper towels. We might find ourselves turning off the TV and going for a walk in the neighborhood (can’t use the ‘but I look too bad to leave the house’ excuse anymore!). We might find we generally enjoy each other’s company more because we’re not distracted by lack of lipstick or mustard-stained shirts.

You may think me shallow for today’s little entry, and that’s okay. I ask, though, that you trust me on this: recognize that when we’ve made an effort on our outer image, we feel much better about ourselves. You don’t have to be a supermodel for this to work – just take that extra bit of time on yourself; you will see and feel results.

Time to get ready… Time to get ready for love


Wives and Lovers (written by Burt Bacharach & Hal David. Recorded by Jack Jones)

http://www.newmanimage.info

No comments:

Post a Comment