Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Big Bang Theory


Gloom, despair and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me.


Oh, my lord – I’ve resorted to quoting from Hee Haw.

But I do it to make a point.

Too often, people merely sit around in tattered overalls sipping their moonshine from jugs waiting for something big to happen. (Okay, maybe not in overalls and perhaps no moonshine’s involved, but bear with me – I really intend to go somewhere with this)

They spend a tremendous amount of time thinking, If only I made X amount of dollars. If only I could lose X number of pounds. If only I could find a man. Then, all would be right with the world.

Of course, disappointment sets in because their desires were not manifested. Usually, this turns to bitterness, and ultimately these folks find themselves living in a constant state of negativity.

Here’s the lesson, boys and girls: things don’t just happen – we have to make them happen.

Our actions, thoughts, words, and even the way in which we present ourselves to the world determine just what will – and what won’t – happen.

In other words, we must dress the part and assume the role of a successful, happy individual in order to achieve or receive anything good. Sometimes this takes a little acting on our parts: we won’t always wake up in a good mood and rejoice in our tedious jobs, cluttered homes, insolent children, or detached spouses. However, we do have the power to readjust our mindset: yes, I have a viable source of income, a roof over my head, and am blessed with family. If we feel gratitude for what we do have, rather than a longing for what we don’t, that job won’t seem so bad, the kids won’t grate on your nerves so much, and that spouse…well, you may find he’s not so bad after all.

We must also discover elements of bigness in the little things. Rather than proclaiming, Oh, I can’t wait for (whatever it is one waits for) to happen!, we must relish small pleasures and each little blessing throughout the day: a quiet cup of coffee, a stroll through the neighborhood, an opportunity to merely chat with a friend.

We are magnets. Everything occurring right now is a result of our attitude and actions.

Those guys from Hee Haw sang that song every week for twenty years. Nothing changed. They didn’t relish in the fact that pretty girls surrounded them, ‘shine flowed like water, and Buck Owens was a resident of Cornfield County for a very long time – that’s good stuff, my friends!

The power for change lies within us, if we only focus on the positive and possess a clear vision for what we truly want out of life.

There is no big bang, but there are an awful lot of little bangs that go unnoticed.

Beth Newman
Image Consultant/Life Coach
Newman Image
www.newmanimage.info
Look, feel, and LIVE your absolute best!

No comments:

Post a Comment