Thursday, February 18, 2010

Revelations from the Fitting Room


A friend asked me the other day how image consulting and life coaching work together. “After all, one’s pretty shallow, and the other’s quite deep,” he quipped. I laughed in spite of myself, and explained my personal philosophy (one I completely stole from What Not to Wear’s Clinton Kelly): how we dress tells the world how we expect to be treated. I added the caveat: our thoughts, words, and actions tell the Universe how we expect to be treated.

Women tend to reveal deep, dark secrets in fitting rooms, and not just the type that involves lumps, bumps, scars, and sad underwear. Gals tend to purge a few things while trying on clothes and discovering new looks. “I love it, but there’s no way Bob will let me wear it.” What else does Bob dictate? I wondered. “I just don’t feel comfortable in bright colors; I’m much more comfortable in black.” Why are you afraid of getting noticed? I pondered. “I should not spend this much money on a shirt.” Why don’t you feel worthy? I mused. Anyway, by the time I leave most fitting rooms, I know far more than a woman’s age, rank, and bra size.

I really believe our style represents our authentic selves. What’s happening on the outside is a pretty good indicator of what’s going on inside, usually. I suppose once I’ve seen someone practically naked, she feels comfortable enough with me to discuss things that she won’t easily discuss with someone else.

I take a great deal of pride in my work. It’s about empowering others, really, and it’s a real kick for me to assist them in taking control of their lives. We only get one life, you know. Why not frolic through it joyfully while feeling as fabulous as we look?

Beth Newman
Image Consultant/Life Coach
Newman Image
www.newmanimage.info
Look, feel, and LIVE your absolute best!

No comments:

Post a Comment